g++-1.39.0 malloc problem

Roberto Togneri robert at swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
Tue Mar 26 15:56:54 AEST 1991

At last!
  I have got g++-1.39 and libg++-1.39 installed on our Sparc2 (4.1.1) and
our 4D/20 iris (3.1d). In both cases a proper malloc is important and the
GNU malloc should not be used (i.e. define NO_LIBGXX_MALLOC in the libg++
Makefile).

Here is the problem:

1. If I use the GNU malloc both the iris and sun g++ give me a clobbered
space detected error when running some c++ programs written by a colleague.
The Sun passes make tests; the iris doesn't. If I use the system malloc then
there is no core dump for the Sun g++ but I get a segmentation fault for the
iris g++. dbx indicates that the fault occurred during the malloc call. In
fact this is one of the reasons the iris g++ fails the make tests.

Does that mean that the system malloc on the iris isn't up to scratch?
Or is there still a definite problem with g++ on an iris (mips) ?

(BTW I have tried the OSF version of gcc and g++ but it has the same
problem)

If you have any ideas I'm all eyes!
--
Dr. Roberto Togneri                         Phone: +61-9-380-2535
Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
NEDLANDS WA 6009 Australia                  Email: robert at swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au