Arenas

Micah Altman micah at flobb4.csd.sgi.com
Fri Mar 22 20:05:33 AEST 1991

In <1964 at mira.cs.nps.navy.mil> pratt at mira.cs.nps.navy.mil (david pratt) writes:

>   1. It seems that only eight processes can access an arena. I have run
>several test and have not been able to get the ninth process to connect. Is
>there a way around this?

Eight users is the default. This is changeable through the usconfig(3P) call.
Call usconfig(CONF_INITUSERS,$ of processes to share ). You must do the
usconfig() before creating the arena with usinit(). The usconfig() call
also lets you set other nifty arena parameters, the man page goes over
all of them.

>   2. I want to create an arena that two different users can access. Once again
>I get a no go (Permission denied). I have tried changing the protection on
>the file and that doesn't work. Any ideas? I know this can create a security
>problem for some applications.

Current (3.3,3.3.1,3.3.2) arenas don't allow sharing by different users (
independently created processes with the same uid would work, but not
processes with different uid's). This will change in release 4.0.

--
	"Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate." - William of Ockham
	Micah Altman, "Computational Juggler"	   	   micah at csd.sgi.com
	Phone (415) 335-1866				   FAX (415) 965-2309
	Disclaimer: 	Everything in this document is a lie.