Saving money on a 4D/35...

Bridget Carragher bridget at DIM.UCSD.EDU
Sat Mar 16 05:41:04 AEST 1991

Hi all,
I am about to buy a 4D/35TG (which really means buying a 4D25 with an upgrade
to follow and am trying to save a few dollars here and there.  I would
appreciate any advice/insight/recommendations on the following decisions:

	1.  SGI has a "deal" on CD ROM's that means you only have to
	pay maintenance for the year - $660.  Is this a good deal or could I just
	as easily do without the CD-ROM?
	2.  I would like to buy 3rd party memory (obviously) but I hear that the
	35 needs extra special fast memory only available from SGI.  Is this true?
	3.  Is it worth taking out the full extended warranty?  Are there any
	cheap options for maintenance available?
	4.  What is the word on the cheapest way to put some disk on this machine.
	I figure I have to buy one disk from SGI but the cheapest available is
	a 385 Mb - if I then buy 3rd party 1 Gb this is still more expensive than
	just buying a 1Gb direct from SGI (if you take academic discount into
	account).

I will summarise any interesting replies back to this list.

Thanks,
Bridget Carrgher

Bridget Carragher     		UCSD-MIRAR
bcarragher at ucsd.edu    		University of California, San Diego
(619) 534-7968         		M-008
(619) 534-7497 (Fax)   		La Jolla, CA 92093-0608