Problem with Pandora

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Fri Mar 22 05:21:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.225455.21660 at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>, panisset at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Jean-Francois Panisset ) writes:
|> Here is a problem I have been having: not critical, but it does diminish
|> my enjoyment of the machine...
|>
|> I am using a 4D/50, running 3.3.1. The visuallogin variables is set to ON,
|> but Pandora (the visual login program) fails to work. When the station is
|> first booted, it goes through the normal boot sequence, the window manager
|> starts up, but it then dies with the message "News server killed on signal 15".

This is puzzling because

a) The window system doesn't start up until after you have logged in via
   Pandora (or /bin/login).

b) I know of no message that says "News server". The message I'm aware of
says "Window server killed by signal 15".

What do you mean when you say "the window manager starts up".

I suspect what is happening is that Pandora is starting up and then
dying for some reason.  When Pandora dies I would not be surprised that
grcond prints out the message I mentioned above.

So the question is why is Pandora dying.  Signal 15 indicates that the
somehow Pandora is crashing the graphics pipeline causing the kernel to
gun it down with the signal. If you look in /usr/adm/SYSLOG you should
find some additional messages which say why the pipeline crashed.

I suspect either a corrupted Pandora binary or a hardware problem.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein