Problem with Pandora

Jean-Francois Panisset panisset at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Wed Mar 20 08:54:55 AEST 1991

Here is a problem I have been having: not critical, but it does diminish
my enjoyment of the machine...

I am using a 4D/50, running 3.3.1. The visuallogin variables is set to ON,
but Pandora (the visual login program) fails to work. When the station is
first booted, it goes through the normal boot sequence, the window manager
starts up, but it then dies with the message "News server killed on signal 15".
The system then drops down to the console. If you login at this point, the
windowing environment will start up fine, but it will terminate when you
log out.

Clearly, running pandora is not crucial to the operation of the system.
Nevertheless, I am puzzled by this behavior. Anyone has any idea what is
happening?

Thanks in advance,

JF Panisset

--