4 meg simms on 4D25/TG

John juancho buchanan buchanan at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 27 05:03:48 AEST 1991

In the process of attempting to upgrade one of our workstations we purchased
16meg of SAMSUNG 4 meg simms.  The numbers on the chips are as follows.
KM41C4000J-B 023

When we installed this memory in the slots contiguous to the 8 meg that are
already there the system came up fine but recognized these chips as 1meg
simms.  When the machine was booted with only this memory in it, it did not
recognize the memory at all.  I seem to remember some time ago some
discussion about some of the early 4D25 having problems with recognizing
certain 4 meg simms.  Does anyone recall these discussions and/or have a
list of 4 meg simms that work.

|					|===============================|
|	John Buchanan (juancho)		|	buchanan at cs.ubc.ca	|
|	Imager Manager			|===============================|
|	Imager				|	(604) 228-2218		|
|	Department of Computer Science	|===============================|
|	University of British Columbia	|	Standard disclaimer	|
|	Vancouver, BC, Canada		|	included in this	|
|					|	box, right here.	|
| This from ;login: (The USENIX Association Newsletter), Sep/Oct 1990,  |
| in a report on a Usenix Standards BOF session:                        |
| An overheard conversation:					        |
| -"Mach was the greatest intellectual fraud in the last ten years."    |
| -"What about X?"							|
| -"I said `intellectual' "						|