quick 2D graphics

Frank Perdicaro frank at contex.UUCP
Tue Mar 19 05:04:03 AEST 1991

So many people have written in saying 'what is a easy, cheap, simple
2-D graphics package for the SGI' that I thought that no such animal
existed from SGI.  Of neccessity the other day, I went looking.

For the people that have the Transcript and DWB software from SGI, the line

grap file | pic | psroff -t | psview -

provides easy function and data set plots on the screen, and can
be modified to write to a LaserWriter.  ( grap file | pic | psroff  )

grap provides a small programming language in which I have plotted
a few non-trivial functions, and the ability to read data sets and
automatically provide sensible axes.

The quality is not great, but if you need to see the data and print
it out in the next 5 minutes, this works well.  And, you might already
have it.

If you want to 'get in close', /usr/demos/bin/snoop works great.
You can store a few psviews in icons and look at the changes as you
edit the grap program in another window.
If you are really smart, you can define vi macros, and have these
executed from a keyboard function key. In a half hour, you have an
small interactive graphics package.  Your mileage may vary...
--
	Frank E Perdicaro, Systems Admin, etc.		Xyvision Design Systems
   LEGALIZE Guns, drugs and cash...today.		101 Edgewater Drive