Arenas

Chris Wagner jwag at moose.asd.sgi.com
Thu Mar 28 02:25:10 AEST 1991

In article <1964 at mira.cs.nps.navy.mil>, pratt at mira.cs.nps.navy.mil
(david pratt) writes:
> Greetings,
>    Thanks to everyone who answered my posting about VAX -> SGI format
>  conversions. I have two more questions on a new topic, arenas.
>    1. It seems that only eight processes can access an arena. I have run
> several test and have not been able to get the ninth process to connect. Is
> there a way around this?
>    2. I want to create an arena that two different users can access.
Once again
> I get a no go (Permission denied). I have tried changing the protection on
> the file and that doesn't work. Any ideas? I know this can create a security
> problem for some applications.
>    As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Look at usconfig(CONF_MAXUSERS) - set that to the # you want BEFORE
calling usinit.

As for the permissions, that is a bug/feature that has been fixed
in 4.0. In 4.0 you can now set the permissions on  the arena and the underlying
hardware lock devices.

The only work around I can think of is to change the mode on both the arena
file AND the /dev/hl/xxx file that is associated with that arena.

Chris Wagner