Gnu Emacs using shared memory -- request (ammended)

Rob Warnock rpw3 at rigden.wpd.sgi.com
Mon Mar 4 19:43:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar4.022153.26544 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz>
russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
+---------------
| Oops... In my previous article I used the term 'shared memory' in a incorrect
| sense. What I meant was shared libraries. I had forgotten that SYS V has an
| IPC mechanism called shared memory.
|
| What I want is a mechanism by which many users of a program (Emacs) use a
| single copy of the code in memory and have separate data segments.
+---------------

This is the automatic default. From "man ld":

     -z   Arrange that the process pages are loaded on demand from the
          resulting executable file (0413, or ZMAGIC, format) rather than
          preloaded, and the text pages shared among all users. This is the
          default.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-1L/515		rpw3 at sgi.com		rpw3 at pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311