Wishlist

Henrik Klagges uh311ae at sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 4 22:36:55 AEST 1991

Hello !
Here is my newest SGI wishlist:

- Compute servers. A small, stripped down 8-R3000 box with lots of memory,
  no graphics and nice price.
- Higher display frequency. I like my Sony, but I don't like 60 Hertz.
  Give me 75.
- CD Rom NOW (in FRG). These bad installation tapes (`unrecoverable media
  error`) are a pain in every imaginable place.
- Open systems architecture, like Sun. We are just buying 5 new stations
  and I have a very hard time convincing others (and myself) to spend the
  equivalent of a car on a SCSI disk or on a few megs. Fore this reason,
  SGIs have just been pushed off a recommendation list used for the
  purchase of *several thousand* workstations in Germany. That`s a lot of
  money.
- Bundled software. NFS is a standard. X11, too. Everyone who uses X
  eventually gets PD source and wants to compile it - so why a X dev kit ?
  Moreover, why are the Xlib/Xt-Books included ? I don`t need them twice,
  and Xlib programming is nuts anyway.
- Source for *all* demos. Your in-house graphic widget library.
- PD distribution via the company.
- C++ Release 2.1 (&3.0 as soon as possible). C-Linda. Strand88.
- smooth transition from NeWS to X

Cheers ! Rick at vee.lrz-muenchen.de