move images

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Wed May 1 05:47:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.182014.5178 at menudo.uh.edu>, svec5 at menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:
|> Sorry for asking maybe a novice question:
|>
|> It works nicely except it is slow(rectread and rectwrite.) I noticed
|> that when open a new window, moving the frame around is quite fast,
|> how is that done ? Any help would be appreciated.

The window manager draws the frame in the popup planes which provide a
separate frame buffer that is displayed on top of the main image buffer.
The popup planes are by convention reserved for system use.  An application
can accomplish the same thing using the overlay planes.

See the drawmode(3G) man page for details.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein