novice trys to set up PI

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at sgi.com
Fri May 17 01:30:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991May15.224535.17271 at colorado.edu> rainer at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) writes:
>In article <1991May15.200159.19891 at cs.dal.ca> silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca writes:
>>
>>Your final comment about using email is valid, but apparently that
>>violates the noncommercial constraints.  Pity.
>
>This is a more general net question (from a networking greenhorn), but
>wouldn't it be possible to come up with some kind of scheme where some
>packets on the net are identified as "commercial" and the owner then
>pays Darpa (or whoever runs this thing) a fee per packet ? In this way
>companies could offer Internet product support and pay for it.
>
>--
>Rainer Malzbender                          Real programmers build hardware.
>Dept. of Physics (303)492-6829
>U. of Colorado, Boulder         rainer at boulder.colorado.edu 128.138.240.246

Yes, we're largely constrained by the noncommercial restrictions on
internet use. I suppose the net-gods may be able to fix something up
to deal with this, as Mr. Malzbender suggested, but I still beleive a
direct connection is better and easier.

We are working on number of improvements in our support here at SGI.
some of the things we've done have been enablers, such as the new
phone system, which allows us to begin to develop a sophisticated
integration of phone system, call tracking system, bug tracking
systems, and other inter-related support tools. All of these will
gradually improve our ability to support our customers and your
ability to quickly contact the "right" person to solve your problem.

For more immediate improvement, we've changed some processes and added
a considerable number of people. The Product Support team has been
the fastest growing group in the company for about the last 6-9
months. And we're still hiring (see misc.jobs.offered... :-} ) and
continually reviewing and revising our processes.

I hope that most of you are seeing recent improvement as a result of
our efforts. And please contact me directly if you have any problems
with our support or suggestions for improvement.

email: dunlap at sgi.com

phone: (415) 962-3559, or through (800) 800-4SGI

Snail-Mail:

	2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
	P.O. Box 7311
	Mailstop 12-180
	Mountain View, CA 94039-7311

regards,

chris

--
D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering
				Customer Support Division