stty/sgtty in IRIX, lpd, and transcript

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Tue May 28 13:59:27 AEST 1991

eap at bu-it.bu.edu (Eric A. Pearce) writes:
>I managed to get Transcript 2.1 compiled under IRIX 3.x without much
>trouble,  I found it preferable to one SGI sells since it's the 'BSD'
>instead of the 'SYSV' version.

There was one substantial set of changes that I made to the transcript 2.1
software - the BSD version of pscomm expects to use the BSD signal
semantics where a system call interrupted by a signal will be restarted.
This is currently not available under IRIX, so I blocked signals around
these critical regions.  That stopped the core dumps from pscomm.

>We had a locally hacked version of the Tahoe lpd, but only for printing
>remotely.   It looks like IRIX 4.0 has a Berkeley version.   We still
>don't have any directly connected postscript printers.

IRIX 3.3 seems to have /usr/etc/lpd (it's on the dist tapes) - but I
haven't tried it for directly connected printers.

I also have patches to lpd to use termio stuff (I think I got them from BU
:-).  But, we run a modified version of lpd that handles printing via
terminal servers - one of our iri operates in this manner.  This particular
setup is sort of between printing to a directly connected port and sending
to another machine - it was different enough to expose problems in SIGCHLD
handling, wait() timing, and a few random BSDisms in lpd, and the pscomm
problems.  If anyone can use these changes, let me know.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet