< Connecting Fujitsu M2266SA to SGI SCSI (SOLVED) >

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at perf2.asd.sgi.com
Wed May 15 03:52:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.151513.1347 at utstat.uucp>, tg at utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) writes:
> I too bought a 2266 in the hopes of connecting a BIG, FAST, and CHEAP
> drive to what is a relatively fast machine (4D220).
>
> The drive came configured from our vendor and it almost worked.
> A lot of hours later I had a drive that ran. But it ran SLOWWW.
> Top speed of about 900KB/sec. Way short of the rated 5MB/sec.

The actual peak SCSI bus transfer rate of the drive is 4.8 MB/s, but
this is only the SCSI bus rate, not the drive rate.  The raw drive
rate is 3.0 MB/s, but that does not account for intersector gaps,
head switches, or single cylinder seeks.  In actuality, the maximum
sustained transfer rate off the media is about 2.1 to 2.2 MB/s for
this drive (million byte MB).