Video recording options?

Nathan F. Janette nathan at jacobi
Fri May 10 02:42:42 AEST 1991

I am the unix systems manager for a prof that works with x-ray crystallography.
We use Polygen's Quanta package on a SGI 4D/220GTX machine to display structure
pictures.  We would like to record some video presentations of the work we are
doing on the SGI.  Our local sales rep has presented the following options.

1. VideoFramer
   - high res capture
   - 1 frame / 15 seconds
   - $7,500 list

2. VideoCreator
   - medium res capture ("less than ntsc res")
   - 1 frame / 4 seconds
   - $12,500 list

3. Genlock with NTSC
   - low res capture
   - ? frames / second
   - ? list price

It seems that it would take an awful long time to make a ten minute high res
video capture with a reasonable number of frames!  What gives?  The sales rep
said the slow frame capture time has to do with rgb to ntsc conversion.

Are these the only/best options?  Is there no real-time option?

Thanks in advance.

--
Nathan Janette
nathan at jacobi.biology.yale.edu