Video recording options?

Wes Barris wes at uh.msc.umn.edu
Sat May 11 00:20:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991May9.164242.18284 at cs.yale.edu>, nathan at jacobi (Nathan F.
Janette) writes:

> 1. VideoFramer
>    - high res capture
>    - 1 frame / 15 seconds
>    - $7,500 list
>
>    stuff deleted...
>
> It seems that it would take an awful long time to make a ten minute high res
> video capture with a reasonable number of frames!  What gives?  The sales rep
> said the slow frame capture time has to do with rgb to ntsc conversion.

We use the Video Framer.  You have to supply it an IRIS "RGB" file of the
proper size.  This size varies depending on your selected mode.  For
example, I use the D1 output whose corresponding size is 720x486.  Sending
image data out the D1 (or any other) port on the Video Framer takes about
five seconds.  I send this image to an Abekas A60.  If you are going
directly to tape, you will have to do this frame-by-frame
(preroll/edit/postroll, etc.)  This process generally takes about ten
seconds per frame.

Making a 1000 frame movie could take around four hours just to record.

> Are these the only/best options?  Is there no real-time option?

I have heard of some up-coming SGI product that will provide a "real-time"
scan converter and multiple-video outputs.  However, this wont help if
you can't display your images in real time.

    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes at msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`