Harmless Compiler Bug

John Benjamins johnb at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 1 19:38:08 AEST 2016

In article <1990Oct9.180308.27073 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> ron at holodeck.lerc.nasa.gov (Ron Gaug) writes:
>The following fortran subprogram:
[ ... ]
>uopt: Warning: harmless compiler bug detected (LDA length 0); please report to MIPS
>
>when compiled with optimization levels 2 (and above).
>O/S:	IRIX 3.3.1
>Compiler: f77 -V shows "Mips Computer Systems 2.0"
>
>But Hey, Don't have a cow man!  It's Harmless!

I like that:-) It ranks up there with the message I got after running a
job on a VMS machine a few years ago:

  PROGRAM EXECUTION WAS TERMINATED FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON

E. John Benjamins                                      BITNET: JOHNB at MCMASTER
Computer and Information Services,       Internet: johnb at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
ABB 131, McMaster University,             voice-mail: (416)525-9140 ext. 2920
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada    "You can't chop down a symmetry" -- Jane Siberry