Sun-Spots Digest, v6n55

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon Apr 18 02:31:34 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Sunday, 17 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 55

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Problems reading tar tapes (2)
                              Re: LAT on SUN
               Re: Apollo <> Sun cartridge tape conversions
                   TCP bug in 3.5 - not a bug after all
                         sun bcopy (yet again...)
                          disk trashing problem
                  Problems adding SCSI disk to Sun 2/120
                   Problems using cgpixwindd color maps
              Getting mail between Suns and VAX/VMS DECNET?
                     Positioning icons on the screen?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    8 Apr 88 14:36:14 GMT
From:    Rich Salz <rsalz at bbn.com>
Subject: Re: Problems reading tar tapes (1)
Reference: v6n47

Person A:
>I suspect the problem is byte ordering. ...
>... The tar headers have miscellaneous ints and shorts, hence it matters.

Person B:
>... you're completely incorrect here.  The header for
>a tar file is an array of character strings....

So?  If there are byte-ordering problems they will show up even if
the header is written in ASCII:
	'/' 't'   'm' 'p'   '/' 'f'   'o' 'o'
	't' '/'   'p' 'm'   'f' '/'   'o' 'o'

[[ So everything!  Tar headers do NOT have "miscellaneous ints and
shorts".  If ASCII strings work, then so does tar.  --wnl ]]

Anyhow, yes, it's possible that the problem is byte-ordering.  There are
some machines out there with really stupid device drivers (not just
controllers).  In particular, the Integrated Solutions has a set of
/dev/srt0..8 tape drivers; the 's' stands for 'swap the bytes.'

Try reading in your tape with dd and byteswapping, as in:
	dd conv=swap </dev/st0 | tar vtf -

/rich $alz