Sun-Spots Digest, v6n54

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon Apr 18 02:31:34 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Saturday, 16 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 54

Today's Topics:
                       Re: fstab swap entries? (2)
        Re: Problems with 'mailtool'/'textedit' (really shelltool)
                 Re: Need advice on SUN - VAX connection
        Faster version of draw_circles (Submitted c. March 25th).
                           Compiling "bitdump"
                         slowdown in performance
                Two bugs: csh "filec" and rlogin xon/xoff
                    Need dsun: troff processor for Sun
                             Need more groups
                           get backissues how?
             blanket windows and gfxsubwindows with SunView?
                      Detecting suntool invocation?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 7 Apr 88 09:34:22 EDT
From:    Bernard Silver <bs30 at gte.com>
Subject: Re: fstab swap entries? (1)
Reference: v6n43

I asked Sun this recently.  They gave me an answer which seems to work.
The entry in /etc/fstab should be

/dev/sd0b swap swap rw 0 0

Not exactly obvious from the documentation!

Bernard

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 7 Apr 88 18:41:42 CDT
From:    vixen!ronbo at cs.utexas.edu (Ron Hitchens)
Subject: Re: fstab swap entries? (2)
Reference: v6n43

In v6n43 ted at braggvax.arpa asks:
> What should a swap entry in /etc/fstab look like?

This will do it:

/dev/sd1b /nodir swap rw 0 0

The second field, which specifies a directory mount point for normal
filesystem mounts, is not used for a swap partition specification, but the
code which parses the fstab file is apparently generalized to the point
that it will reject any entry whose second field doesn't begin with a
slash.  You can put anything you like in there, as long as it starts with
a slash.

Ron Hitchens		ronbo at vixen.uucp	hitchens at cs.utexas.edu

[[ Thanks also to Alan Edwards <moss!ihlpm!kae at att.arpa> for a similar
suggestion.  --wnl ]]