Sun-Spots Digest, v6n48

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sat Apr 9 02:57:21 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Thursday, 7 April 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 48

Today's Topics:
                        Re: Whining disk drive (5)
             Re: Problems reading others' TAR tapes on a SUN
              Re: Sun Quarter Inch Cartridge tape questions
                         Sun 4 compiler glitches?
                         Questions about backups
                   Commercial backup systems for Suns?
               Request for info on helical-scan tape units

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Tue, 29 Mar 88 11:18:13 PST
From:    Mark Foster <fosterm at ogcvax.ogc.edu>
Subject: Re: Whining disk drive (1)
Reference: v6n36

I've encountered this on a number of 5.25" drives; I'm not sure if it
applies to your model.

On some drives, the drive motor spindle bolt is pressed on by a spring
steel pressure plate that is mounted on the interface PCB.  The scream is
due to slight friction between the pressure plate's rubber bushing and the
top (bottom?) of the spindle.

I generally suspect that the scream doesn't develop until either a small
divot is formed in the rubber bushing (forming a "cup" that oscillates on
the spindle) or the rubber hardens.

My solution is to put a *very small* amount of grease (we use "Wonder
White Grease" from Sta-Lube/Compton, CA 90221) on the spot where the
rubber bushing contacts the spindle bolt.

Mark Foster
CSE Systems Support
Oregon Graduate Center
Beaverton, OR