Sun-Spots Digest, v6n49

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sat Apr 9 02:57:21 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Thursday, 7 April 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 49

Today's Topics:
                 Re: Clues about "tty grp reset" message
                              Re: YP Problem
          Re: Can backups be done with system in multi-user mode
                            SUN-4 problems (2)
                  Error messages: MC68881 not available
    CDC Sabre 850 Mb SMD disk working on Sun with Xylogics controller
                      Memory modules for Sun 3/60's?
                      driver for Maxtor worm wanted
                Any problems with calentool (SunOS 2.2..)?
                               VAX vs SUN?
                    vt100 emulator that supports CPR?
                             VT100 emulator?
            Difference between thin and "thick" wire networks?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Tue, 29 Mar 88 14:48:37 CST
From:    maeder at symcom.math.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Clues about "tty grp reset" message

The problem described by darkstar!brian at uc.msc.umn.edu (Brian Utterback)
was that a new cmdtool died with a message "tty grp reset...".

We have observed the same problem on our 3/50s that are used by many
different people (they are all in a public location). I found that when
this happenend there always was a csh process from a previous user that
was still connected to a pty. When the new cmdtool was opened it got the
same pty and the two processes competed for input.

I don't know under which circumstances these csh processes stay around.
All I can do is kill them.

If it happens to you open a new cmdtool (it will get the same pty) and
before typing anything (which would trigger the error) close it and never
touch it. You can then open a new one that will behave normally.

Roman E. Maeder
Dept. of Mathematics			UUCP:       ...!uiucuxc!symcom!maeder
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign	Internet: maeder at symcom.math.uiuc.edu