Sun-Spots Digest, v6n50

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Apr 12 06:57:03 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Sunday, 10 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
                  Re: Changes in user mail interface (2)
                        backups in multiuser mode
          Our experience with 2.3 gbytes cartrige storage system
                         Crashes due to timeouts
                     NEC Silentwriter LC-890 "RS-232"
                Help needed with SunView background proc's
                            le0: ENP/STP bits
                            SPARC User Manual?
                    Experience with 56Kbps Interfaces?
                   How to set-up the mail environement?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    31 Mar 88 21:00:22 GMT
From:    mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Mike Khaw)
Subject: Re: Changes in user mail interface (1)
Reference: v6n37

woods at handies.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
> ...Sun has decided to reverse the sense of the 'R' and 'r' commands
> in /usr/ucb/Mail...

1) It's consistent with the change in 4.3bsd's mail user-agent.
2) 4.3bsd probably changed it because naive users tend to type "r" when
   meaning to reply to just the sender, then get all kinds of flames from
   everyone else on the list who didn't care to get their maildrop
   cluttered with irrelevant mail.  I don't recall offhand what it is,
   but I think 4.3bsd mail lets you revert to the old sense of "R" vs.
   "r" via an option in your .mailrc -- with any luck, SunOS does the same.

Mike Khaw

internet:  mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
USnail:	   Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303