Sun-Spots Digest, v6n66

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Apr 27 15:09:19 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Tuesday, 26 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 66

Today's Topics:
             Re: how to tell if you're running under suntools
                          Default route problem
                      Sendmail.cf talking to itself
                          I have a DECnet mailer
                              Magic on sun4
                              bug in OS 3.5
                deskside Suns and acceptable noise levels
              fsck clears unref'd inodes, files still there
                 Yp problem.  "server not responding..."
                        problems with VMS fortran
                        macro assembler for Suns?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    18 Apr 88 19:05:22 GMT
From:    mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Mike Khaw)
Subject: Re: how to tell if you're running under suntools

> Does anybody know how to have a .login know whether it is being
> executed
> 	a) from console .login
> versus
> 	b) from suntools window creation
>
> I have commands I wish executed in one case, but not the other.

(a) .login only runs when you login, not when you start a shell/cmdtool in
suntools.  However, If you want to find out from .login if you are on the
console so that you can decide if it's ok to run suntools, do something
like

	if (`tty` == /dev/console) then
		suntools
	endif

[[ Isn't that what *I* said?  --wnl ]]

(b) According to Sun s/w support, the env. variable WINDOW_PARENT is
always set if you're running under suntools, so you could

	if ($?WINDOW_PARENT) then
		echo "running under suntools"
	endif

Mike Khaw

internet:  mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
USnail:	   Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303