Sun-Spots Digest, v6n175

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Aug 10 15:01:45 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 9 August 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 175

Today's Topics:
         Re: Running screenblank on a Sun 3/60 with color display
                    Re: eye-strain and hi-res monitors
                Re: Performance problem with 3/280 upgrade
                 Re: Changing Sun 3/110 LC to monochrome
                           RCS Timeouts (Help!)
           Re: tn3270 on a Sun4 -- diffs to correct the problem
                       YA4.0B (yet another 4.0 bug)
                Compiling emacs under 4.0: changes to "ld"
                          X11R2 Xterm versus yp
                          19 inch color monitors
          getting your login environment in command(shell)tools
                  help with CDC 9615-160 drives on SUNS
                      anybody know if ncheck works?
                      gnuemacs and keypad bindings?
                           fixes for fig v1.4?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 02 Aug 88 12:07:37 PDT
From:    weiser.pa at xerox.com
Subject: Re: Running screenblank on a Sun 3/60 with color display

> What is the proper way to run screenblank on a color Sun 3/60?...

Works fine for me just saying "screenblank".

-mark

------------------------------

Date:    2 Aug 88 23:32:01 GMT
From:    milano!janssen at titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen)
Subject: Re: eye-strain and hi-res monitors

In Sun-Spots Digest, v6n157, Ruven Brooks points out that screen
resolution may contribute to eye-strain.  Having worked with a Sun hi-res
1600x1280 screen for some time now, I can testify to that.  It's actually
not the screen so much as it is the applications.  They all seem to be
tailored for this 80 dpi surface, and just can't adjust for the different
resolution.  Sun and their font library are particularly at fault here.
There should be a separate library of fonts shipped for each screen
resolution, so that when a 12 point font is called for, it is really a
12-pt font.

Bill