Sun-Spots Digest, v6n15

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Feb 16 06:27:50 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Monday, 15 February 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 15

Today's Topics:
                         Re: Sun-4 bcopy warning
                            Re: Adding a node
                            Re: Sun vs. DELNI
                  Re: more spurious level 3 interrupts!
                         Re: Lisp for Sun-4? (2)
                         Make bug in SunPro make
                                Bad blocks
                          "fig" program problems
                       Handling Events in SunCore?
                          Diskless CAD Stations?
                Poor UUCP performance on Sun 3's and 4's?
          Press Release: Sun Common Lisp for Sun-4 workstations

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Tue, 2 Feb 88 15:56:23 EST
From:    Root Boy Jim <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
Subject: Re: Sun-4 bcopy warning

> The bcopy routine on the Sun-4's apparently has not been optimized for the
> machine at all....An unrolled loop, moving a word at at time (except
> for the last few bytes) does much better.

Hey, remember this trick?

	bcopy(from,to,count)
	register int count; register char *from, *to;
	{
		switch (count & 7)
		do {
		case 0: *to++ = *from++;
		case 7:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 6:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 5:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 4:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 3:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 2:	*to++ = *from++;
		case 1:	*to++ = *from++;
		} while ((count -= 8) > 0);
	}

I may have misquoted it, but at least it compiles. You get a warning
about loop not entered at top.

(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
National Bureau of Standards
Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688

[[ It doesn't do the appropriate thing when "count == 0".  :-)   --wnl ]]