Sun-Spots Digest, v6n131

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 8 02:39:40 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Thursday, 7 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 131

Today's Topics:
                          Re: Monitor eyestrain
                           Re: 8-bit shelltool
                            DB-15 slide latch
                     Expansion Memory for Sun3/xxx's
                 Problems with mixed language programming
                  Questions about 3/260 memory expansion
                      postscript printers under 4.0?
                   Clock Synchronization for the Suns?
                     conversion to sun raster format?
                            3rd party drives?
                        Ringing the bell (source)

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    24 Jun 88 22:56:46 GMT
From:    novavax!proxftl!bill at bikini.cis.ufl.edu (T. William Wells)
Subject: Re: Monitor eyestrain
Reference: v6n105

I have 20/200 vision and have had to contend with all kinds of problems
with monitors.  Here are some suggestions; some of these I have used,
others just heard about.  Good luck, and d**m flourescent office lights.

1) Make a shield of some material, attach it to various parts of
   the monitor to cut down on glare.  This also improves contrast
   by reducing the amount of light incident on the screen.

2) Cut down on the flourescent lighting in your office.  The
   amount of light in the average office is far more than is
   needed for most work.  You can (or your office maintenance
   workers can) remove some of the bulbs from your fixtures to
   cut down the light level.  Another possibility is to rig a
   shield of some translucent material over the diffusers for
   your lights.  A judicious combination of 1) and 2) can almost
   completely eliminate screen glare.

3) Project incandescent light from a portable lamp onto your
   screen.  While this decreases the contrast somewhat, it can
   help cut down on the flicker effect from flourescents.

4) Keep a close eye on your viewing distance.  The distance you
   keep between your eyes and the screen is a compromise between
   various physical factors and the optimal seeing distance.
   Things like office furniture and the length of your arms might
   be conspiring to place you at an awkward distance for reading
   the screen.

   bright background can do horrible things to one's ability to
   focus properly.  You might also look into different fonts for
   the screen.  Fonts ideal for black on white are often not very
   good for white on black.