Sun-Spots Digest, v6n133

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 8 02:39:40 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Thursday, 7 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 133

Today's Topics:
       Educational source licenses prohibit commercial development
                           Poor 4.0 performance
                  Ciprico Disk Controllers and SunOS 4.0
                     4.0 Sun logo binder spine labels
                           tape switch sources
                         touchup - rasfilter8to1
                             PC-NFS problems
                           iebark reset crashes
                    large-screen/projection monitors?
                              VITec anyone?
                    experience with array processors?
                           MAX Groups Question

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 27 Jun 88 20:56:11 PDT
From:    hoptoad.UUCP!gnu at cgl.ucsf.edu (John Gilmore)
Subject: Educational source licenses prohibit commercial development

Tait Cyrus of UNM asked whether he can use a University computer to write
a proprietary software package and then later charge money for it.

If the University computer has an Educational Unix license, the answer is
no.  The license requires that any software developed on the machine be
made available to anyone else for a copying cost (subject to license
limitations, e.g.  if you used AT&T code in your product, recipients must
also have an AT&T license).  This is not a bad deal, considering that
universities get full Unix source for $1K total.  The idea is that you are
doing education or research.  If you are doing development of commercial
applications, you'd better pay the $80K or whatever it now costs for a
commercial Unix source license.

I would be interested in getting "tips" on any commercially sold software
that was developed on University machines.  I'm always looking for good
publicly distributable software to put on SUG tapes :-).

Several universities, including U of British Columbia and UC Berkeley,
have bought commercial Unix licenses for one of their machines, and they
claim to be doing all their commercial development on those machines (X.25
at UBC, and VorTeX and other things at UCB).  In the case of Berkeley I
doubt it's true -- the machine is "violet.berkeley.edu" and it's networked
to all the educationally licensed Suns on peoples' desks, where they are
really doing the work.  But just having the machine there makes it harder
to prove that they're breaking the license.

You can verify this information either by reading your Unix license (your
company or University promised that you would abide by it if you have
access to the Unix machine, so it would help if you'd read it!) or by
calling AT&T Unix Licensing at +1 800 828 UNIX.  (Sorry, I don't know the
number if area code 800 doesn't work from your country.)

	John Gilmore

[[ But people doing development work under a standard (binary) Sun license
are okay, because Sun has a binary redistribution license from AT&T.  Your
summary only applies to an educational Unix source license from AT&T.  At
least, this is my limited understanding of the situation.  By the way,
VorTeX's cost is low enough to be considered just a copying fee (under
$300).  However, it is not freely redistributable.  --wnl ]]