Sun-Spots Digest, v6n142

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Jul 19 12:29:32 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Monday, 18 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 142

Today's Topics:
                         Re: MacPaint=>SunRaster
                       Re: Centronics Parallel Port
                            Re: calctool funny
                           Contool version 1.1
                    Egregious Ciprico Warranty Policy
                Investigation of viruses on VAX-11 and Sun
                 Strange Network Traffic (Booting a Sun)
                            wanted: cable info
              Converting files to Sun:  MacPaint, GIF, TIFF?
                           Exabyte buying tips?
                A question regarding setting subnet masks

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 7 Jul 88 14:39:20 EDT
From:    @zorac.arpa:tim at dretor (Tim Pointing)
Subject: Re: MacPaint=>SunRaster
Reference: v6n129

In v6n129, esosun!kobryn at seismo.css.gov (Cris Kobryn) writes:
> We need to convert MacPaint (or MacDraw) formatted bitmaps to Sun raster
> files.  Any information regarding available utilities to accomplish this
> would be appreciated.

The Portable Bit-Map software package by Jef Paskanzer includes programs
for converting MacPaint bitmaps into PBM files and from PBM files into Sun
Raster files. The package (quite small and very useful) is available for
anonymous FTP from lbl-rtsg.arpa (I think that's the right machine -
that's where Jef's account is (jef at lbl-rtsg.arpa). It also includes
programs for converting PBM files to/from X-bitmaps,  X11 window-dumps,
Sun icons (and a few others), and a dozen programs for doing some simple
bitmap manipulations (all deal with PBM files.)

Jef can be reached at:
	jef at lbl-rtsg.arpa
	{ucbvax, lll-crg, sun!pacbell, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
	sun!pacbell!sybase!jef

Tim Pointing, DCIEM
tim at zorac.arpa, uunet!dciem!tim

[[ A program that converts MacPaint files to sunraster format will be
appearing in one of the digests later this week.  Watch for it.  --wnl ]]