Sun-Spots Digest, v6n144

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Jul 19 12:29:32 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Monday, 18 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 144

Today's Topics:
                         Re: SunOS 4.0 on Sun2's
              Re: sharing an Imagen between VAX/VMS and Suns
          Re: Why is my 3/60 so slow - and why is mine unusable
                     Re: MacPaint/Draw -> Sun Raster
                  Source for undump that works under 4.0
                           Experiences with 4.0
       Pascal Compiler Distributed with UNIX 4.2BSD & Unsigned Byte
        Problems with Sun DDN X.25 software (hanging FTP and RCP)
                  Disappearing suntools background image

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Fri, 8 Jul 88 09:05:19 PDT
From:    stevo at jane.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Groom)
Subject: Re: SunOS 4.0 on Sun2's
Reference: v6n139

[[ This is a followup to his posting in v6n139.  --wnl ]]

With help from Sun we managed to figure out where the problem was, and we
have devised a patch for it.  We installed the patch, removed the 701
jumper, and have been running without difficulty for two days now.

The speedup (due to removal of the jumper) is noticeable, and although
elroy is still slower than before 4.0 (because of increased paging and
swapping under 4.0), it is much better than before the patch.

The problem is in trap.o, in two places.  The old code:
    _trap+0x16e:            andl    #0xffffff77,d0
and
    _trap+0x3ae:            andl    #0xffffff77,d0

The patch is to change these two instructions to:
    _trap+0x16e:            andl    #0xffffff67,d0
and
    _trap+0x3ae:            andl    #0xffffff67,d0

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS *NOT* AN OFFICIAL PATCH FROM SUN.  IT IS SOMETHING
THAT WE WORKED OUT ON OUR OWN.  APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Also note that this patch will only help you if you were forced to install
the 701 jumper to get 4.0 to run on your system.  There are legitimate
reasons for needing this jumper in, and in those cases, removing the
jumper will cause problems for you whether or not this patch is installed.
In general, if you ran *without* the jumper before 4.0, then this patch is
for you.  If you ran *with* the jumper, check with someone knowledgeable
before trying to remove it now.

Apply as follows:
# cp /vmunix /vmunix.save
# adb -w /vmunix
trap+0x172?w 0xff67
trap+0x3b2?w 0xff67
# halt

(Remove 701 jumper from CPU board and reboot)

To permanently install the patch:
# cd /usr/sys/sun2/OBJ
# cp trap.o trap.o.dist
# adb -w trap.o
trap+0x172?w 0xff67
trap+0x3b2?w 0xff67
#

Then rebuild your kernel.  Any future kernels you build will contain this
patch.

-steve

/* Steve Groom, MS 168-522, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */