Sun-Spots Digest, v6n135

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Jul 12 12:19:14 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Monday, 11 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 135

Today's Topics:
                Re: QIC-24 cartridge tape and dump command
                        Gotcha with SunOS 4.0 ftp
                        malloc() - free() problems
                       Help with ZS pseudo-drivers
                     SunOs 4.0 installation question
          PS to LaserJet and rasterfile to Laserjet Translators
                     Database on optical laser disk?
                            Fonts?  BIG FONTS?
                     ONC Solution Guide questionaire

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 30 Jun 88 18:06:09 -0400
From:    dan at wilma.bbn.com
Subject: Re: QIC-24 cartridge tape and dump command

In our group we use the following options to dump onto a 450-foot
cartridge using the QIC-24 format:

	dump cbfs 126 /dev/rst8  3820 <filesystems>...

plus whatever other options (incremental dump level, etc.) you may want.
The reasons for each option are as follows.  You must specify "c"
(cartridge) so that dump uses the appropriate values for density (1000
bytes/inch -- same for QIC-11 and QIC-24) and inter-record gap.  The "b"
(blocking) option forces each write to the tape to be very large, making
much more efficient use of the tape.  The "s" (size) option is needed
because the "c" option assumes you're using QIC-11 (rst0), which only puts
4 tracks on the tape, as opposed to the 9 tracks QIC-24 puts on it.  The
interpretation of the "s" option doesn't understand about multiple serial
tracks, so you have to take the length of your tape in feet and multiply
it by 9, subtracting some amount for slop.  (Even with /dev/rst0, if you
are using any size other than 450-foot tapes you should specify the size
to dump.  Multiply the length of your tape by 4 and subtract some slop.
The default "s" value for cartridge tapes is 1700, which is a "slop" of
5.5% of the tape.)

If you ever do need to specify the "d" option, note that it is in
bytes/inch, not bits/inch (despite the comment in dumpmain.c).  With 1/2"
reels of tape, each byte is recorded vertically, so it makes no
difference, but with cartridges, each byte is recorded serially.

QIC-24 (and probably QIC-11) assume that your tape can handle 10,000 flux
transitions per inch.  All the tapes we have around here are rated to
that.

You can get a copy of any QIC "standard" from
	Freeman Associates
	311 E. Carillo St.
	Santa Barbara, Ca 93101
	805-963-3853
There is no charge.

Despite having a copy of the standard, I am still not sure I understand
everything about writing to cartridge tapes.  In particular, I don't know
how to figure out how big the gap is between each block of data resulting
from successive write() calls when you're writing too slowly to stream
continuously, as with dump.  The drive does sound like it backs up to get
near the end of the previous write.  However, I can't find anything in the
standard implying that each write has to be located no more than a certain
distance from the previous one.  This means I don't know how to figure out
how much slop is really needed in the "s" calculation.  (The standard does
discuss inter-record gaps, but seems to be talking about the gap between
each of the many tiny 512-byte blocks a single write() call is split
into.) All I can say is that the number above works.

Dan Franklin