Sun-Spots Digest, v6n25

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Mar 8 02:31:16 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Sunday, 6 March 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:
        Re: lpd printing to a TCP terminal server attached printer
                Re: rcp and rlogin hang in 3.4EXPORT, fix
                Re: Multi-process debugging using Dbxtool
                        Re: Diskless CAD Stations
                               3.5 UPGRADE
                     URGENT Bug fix for Sun 4-3.2FCS
                         SUN rasterfiles -> QUIC
                               WORM drives
                         HP LaserJet Troff filter
                          Stuck in caps lock fix
                       Problems with Sun 3/50 and X
                        Needed: info on TOOL-TOOL
                           Sun 4 info requested
                ping doesn't work with subnets and 3.4.2?
                    Questions about 256 entry colormap
                           GKS implementations?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Thu, 25 Feb 88 12:18:26 EST
From:    Andrew Hodgson <munnari!mimir.dmt.oz.au!ash at uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: lpd printing to a TCP terminal server attached printer

The easiest way to print through a terminal server or any other non local
device is to write the accounting filter and make it send the file to the
remote device. As an example we have a imagen laser printer on our
ethernet which uses IP both TCP and UDP. The termcap entry is as follows

imaprint|generic Imagen printer:\
	:ff=\00:lo=lock:mx#0:pl=60:pw=80:px=2016:py=2624:rw:\
	:sb=Imagen 8/300 Laser Printer:S:sh:
imaenet|generic Imagen ethernet printer:\
	:cf=/usr/lib/imagen/icif.e:\
	:df=/usr/lib/imagen/idvi.e:\
	:gf=/usr/lib/imagen/igraph.e:\
	:if=/usr/lib/imagen/ipf.e:\
	:nf=/usr/lib/imagen/idimp.e:\
	:rf=/usr/lib/imagen/ifort.e:\
	:tf=/usr/lib/imagen/icat.e:\
	:vf=/usr/lib/imagen/imp.e:\
	:tc=imaprint:
ip|mezz_ip|imagen|Imagen 8/300 Laser Printer:\
	:lp=/dev/null:hn=ip:rt=/usr/spool/lpd.ip/resfonts:qu#300:\
	:af=/usr/adm/lpd.ip-ac:ah=mimir:lf=/usr/adm/lpd.ip-errs:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd.ip:tc=imaenet:

Note the lp device is /dev/null so that lpd just sends it to dev/null and
the actual communications is done by :if: which makes a TCP/IP connection
to the printer.