Sun 3 console question

Dave Price mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!dap at uunet.uu.net
Tue Apr 4 09:40:32 AEST 1989

This conversation on sun consoles provokes me to ask a question again that
I raised before.  We wish to operate a SUN with NO console, but still use
both the serial ports for other purposes NOT as consoles. E.G. in normally
a printer in one slot and a modem or X25 or another printer in the other.

I want to tell the SUN that either it has no console or that it pretends
the keyboard is there even though its not.

People turn on/off printers etc.. This must not stop the machine..

Also we do dumping type activities which means we let the machine boot
unattended overnight. There are other times when we boot unattended as
well.. These unattended boots must work.

The solutions I see are either to convince it by software that it has a
'null' keyboard, or we build a circuit that goes in the keyboard port that
'looks' like a keyboard (that never has its keys pressed).

All bright and other ideas welcomed.

Thanks Folks, Dave Price
--
UUCP : { ENGLAND or WALES }!ukc!aber-cs!dap
JANET: dap at uk.ac.aber.cs           PHONE:    +44 970 623111 x 3164