sun 3/60 rebooting

Tim Smith SECAD <tsmith> tsmith at brl.arpa
Thu Apr 27 14:59:06 AEST 1989

In a former life when I was with the Naval Academy we had the same
problem. It would reboot whenever it felt like it, sometimes getting
wedged for a few hours. All in all it was very annoying. One machine (my
old machine) has eaten 4 cpu cards so far (it was delivered in Dec '88).
SMI has recently decided to replace the whole unit to see if that cures
the problem.

As an aside I have heard that the PS in the 3/60 tends to be flakey.  My
experience might support this. A second 3/60 that lives all by itself on a
heavy duty power conditioner has never had any problems.  The 3/60 with
all of the heartburn is on regular building power.

Are yours on conditioned power? Might be worth a try to get a good
quality power conditioner for a few of them and see if they get cured.

good luck,
	Tim Smith	(formerly of the US Naval Academy)
US mail:US Army, BRL				E-mail:
	SLCBR-SE				internet:tsmith at brl.mil
	Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD 21005-5066	uucp	:...!uunet!brl!tsmith
MaBell :(301)278-6678 (or 6808)
Autovon: 298-6678