Securing the Server

Marcel Bernards ecn!marcel at nluug.nl
Wed Apr 26 01:53:31 AEST 1989

in Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 7, Issue 211, message 18 of 19:David G Anderer
writes:

>Problem: How do I prevent people from getting to the server via TELNET or
>RLOGIN?  There's no reason they should run jobs on the server, and a good
>one they shouldn't.

solution:
What to do
create a separate passwd.yp with all yp users on the net.
change  passwd to the original version without +:0:0:::

for every user permitted on the server add
+foo:
+bar:
+:*: or
+:nologin: -> this line prevents other users to login
but all the YP UID and GID's are locally added by YP

It works fine on our 4/280 SUNOS 4.0

Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4342 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130 at HPEENR51
IP: marcel%ecn.uucp at nluug.nl UUCP: marcel at ecn.uucp,marcel%ecn.uucp at uunet.uu.net