Severe Eyestrain--SUN Workstation problem

Paul E. Black cirrusl!paul at decwrl.dec.com
Mon Apr 24 10:22:53 AEST 1989

Let me suggest a radical solution.  Reduce the focusing strain on the eyes
by closing the iris (and making the pupil) as small as possible.  How?
Add MORE light to the general environment (without glare, of course).  For
example, I use black characters on a white background, keep the
fluorescent lights on and have an outside window on my right unshuttered.
(I'm fortunate to have a window with a northern <away from the sun> view).
How about the glare?  I keep the monitor tilted *down* to avoid
reflections from the overhead lights and slightly to the left to avoid
reflection from the window.  The fairly high amibent light on the terminal
makes any glare less noticeable.

I agree with the suggestion to give your eyes break by looking at the
mountains out the window, playing ping pong (really!  think about your eye
focus), or even looking down the hallway.

Paul E. Black          | UUCP: ...{pyramid,amdahl,ames}!oliveb!cirrusl!paul
CIRRUS LOGIC, Inc.     | Internet: cirrusl!paul at olivetti.com
1463 Centre Pointe Dr. | Voice: 408-945-8305 extension 210
Milpitas, CA 95035 USA