CDC & 753 Xylogics

Phil Ritzenthaler phil at bashful.cgrg.ohio-state.edu
Thu Apr 27 15:26:41 AEST 1989

David Classen <dclassen at swift.bcm.tmc.edu>:
> My Sun 4/260 crashes with a an eror message of
>
> 	    spurious VME interupt at processor level 5 VME level
> 	    3, VME vector 0xffffffff
>
> this happens when I try to tar one file system to another or when I run
> suninstall and it's trying to load the usr partition.

NOTE:  TO ANYONE INSTALLING A XYLOGICS 753 WHILE RETAINING THEIR 451 CONTROLLER

Xylogics had a MAJOR BUG in their firmware!!!  I was experiencing THE SAME
EXACT error message as Dave did.  The solution is to RETURN your board to
the company you purchased it from and have them send you the LATEST REV
level from Xylogics (date 27-Mar-1989 (?)).

After installing the new board, I am running:
	4/280 32M memory
	SCSI tape
	Xylogics 451 with 1 Hitachi DK815-10
	Xylogics 753 with 2 Fujitsu M2372K

with no problems (knock on wood . . .).

Phil Ritzenthaler   Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager     The Ohio State University
                    UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
                    ARPA: phil at grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu