le: missed packet problem

Shane Davis rsd at iroquois.dal.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 7 14:24:39 AEST 1989

Been slow to deal with mail this month...better late then never, I reckon...

Tim Ehrhart <ehrhart at aai8.istc.sri.com>:
>What appears to happen is that when the client is requesting his
>bootparam server (which corresponds to an indirect RPC request from the
>portmapper to bootparamd), the portmapper process running on the VAX sends
>back the wrong response. If it can't satisfy the request, it should simply
>NOT ANSWER, instead it sends back an RPC error message....

VAXen aren't the only culprits. We had 2 diskless 3/60's attempting to
boot off a 3/280 that was only 15 feet away from them and a TI Explorer
from the other side of the campus stuck its nose into the boot process in
the same unfriendly manner. We isolated the Cabletron all of the Suns were
on from the rest of the net and they booted normally.

--Shane Davis
  VM and UNIX Systems Programmer
  Univ. of Texas at Dallas Academic Computer Center
  SHANE at UTDALVM1{.BITNET|.dal.utexas.edu} or rsd at dal.utexas.edu