bold & inverse curses

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Sat Apr 22 00:38:40 AEST 1989

>We want to create normal text, bold text, and inverse text, but curses
>seems to support only a 'standout' mode that can be either bold or
>inverse, but it doesn't appear to have another mode.  Are we missing
>something?

No.  The "curses" that comes with 4.xBSD - which is one of the ones that
comes with SunOS as well - supports only "standout" mode.

>Is there a way to add a mode to curses?

Well, you could grab the source from a 4.xBSD system and modify it to
support another mode....

The System V "curses" supports multiple modes; it's the other one of the
ones that come with SunOS.  Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to use it if
you don't compile in the System V environment, since its library has the
same name as the BSD one, as does its include file.  (There are some
incompatibilities, so the S5 one wasn't just used as a replacement for the
BSD one.)