Severe Eyestrain--SUN Workstation problem

Jim Knutson knutson%sw.MCC.COM at mcc.com
Mon Apr 24 10:02:43 AEST 1989

>*	place your monitor and keyboard so that your gaze can easily rest
>	(and shift focus depth) by shifting to an outside view.

I don't agree with this at all.  Ergonomics suggests that everything we
might look at should be at the same focal distance to reduce eye strain.
You can get a feel for the problem by holding a finger at arms length in
front of you alternately focusing on your finger and something further
away.  After a short time, your eyes will start to hurt.  Holding your
finger closer will accelerate the problem.

What you really want is to have the monitors, work surface (all those
listings), keyboard and mouse all the same distance from your eyes.

Turning off lights may help reduce strain while looking at the screen, but
it is going to increase strain when trying to read those listings in the
dark.  Get a desk lamp to help light up your reading materials.

Jim

[[ Who still uses program listings?  That's what extra windows on your
screen are for!  :-)   --wnl ]]