Severe Eyestrain--SUN Workstation problem

John R. Galloway jrg at apple.com
Mon Apr 24 09:02:11 AEST 1989

In article <8903211336.aa01045 at note.nsf.gov> mmorse at note.nsf.gov (Michael Morse) writes:
>list of people who get severe eyestrain from working on SUN's.  The only
>thing I've been told that helps is turning off flourescent lights, which
>is not practical in my office.  Does anyone know how to change the display
>to white on black?

Not only are flourescent lights annoying, but often office environents are
far too bright.  It is my understanding that uniformly flooding the entire
building with bright light (what happens with the standard celling
flourescents) is NOT recomended by current eye research, even for standard
work let alone terminal work.  I don't have the candle power numbers
handy but can likely find them if your interested (or call your local
optometry dept in a nearby med school).  If you can not turn them off, just
stand on your desk and untwist the blubs in the fixture right over your
tube (I am known for having a "dark spot" over my cube/office, at several
companies).   Then buy a desk lamp or two.  Also personnaly, I MUCH prefer
black on white, and until color tubes have equal resolution with monochrome
disagree with the previous (not the one from Michael) statement that color
tubes are easier on the eyes.  Then again with my (bad) vision I use a
16 point font on my sun (instead of the default 12), so perhaps my experience
is not typical.
apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!