Broadcast on SUN networking

Frances Liu sunloop!fliu%uvicctr.UVic.CA at central.sun.com
Wed Apr 26 01:33:15 AEST 1989

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response to my posting. It  was indeed very helpful and
relevant to our current research project.

We have a remote execution manager that is developed on top of the UNIX
kernel. However the communications between processes are carried out on a
one-to-one basis. This is not very efficient especially when we have
replicate child processes that need to communicate with the parent
process.

Thus we are required to improve the communication system by introducing
muiltcast facility. However most of the current developments for multicast
facility require modification to the UNIX kernel, which is not acceptable
to our environment.

We would like to have this facility built as an interface between the
application programs and the UNIX kernel but without any modification to
the kernel.

The "Reliable Broadcast Toolkit (RBT)" which you mentioned seems
interesting and I think it might come in handy for our enviroment.  I
wonder how one can get hold of the source code.

Who should I contact? Where can I reach these people who have the
source code?

You mentioned about a person name Raj, how could I get in touch with him?
Do you have his email address?

I would appreciate you could provide the above information.

Thanks,
Frances