the connector is the network

Pat Lashley apple!kla!pat at decwrl.dec.com
Sat Apr 22 04:40:57 AEST 1989

emv at math.lsa.umich.edu writes:
>I have the well-known problem of Sun 3/60's getting disconnected from the
>(thick) ethernet because of the lousy Sun connectors.  I'm sure there's
>someone who has solved this problem to their satisfaction.  What did you
>do?

This may be old news, but I have only been back on the net for a couple of
months...

The first thing that I do when we get a new transciever cable is remove
one of the washers under each of the posts.  This extra 1/16" seems to
significantly improve connection quality.

Sun is not the only company with a dbx connector problem.  The only time
that I have ever seen it work well was on an old TI 9900/4.  They used a
small dbx (15 ?) connector between the main box and the monitor.

I would prefer some sort of bayonette clip as a standard connector type.

Copyright (c) 1989 PM Lashley under the terms of the GNU General Public License
PMLashley	...{sun | megatest | sts | zygot}!cohesive!kla!pat
<<< I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere... >>>