Notifier question

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 26 14:15:28 AEST 1989

How do I "poll" the nofier while I am in a tight processing loop? I want
to check for a menu selection or button event so the user can quit the
operation if he(she) doesn't want to wait 3 minutes for it to complete.

What I am doing is simply. . .

main()
{

 . . .

 window_main_loop();

}

do_some_funky_stuff_notifier_proc()
{

   for(i=0;i<A_FEW_ZILLION;I++)
   {
      [what can I do here to handle normal notifier events?]
   }
}

I tried to put an explicit call to notify_dispatch() in the loop, since
that is supposed check for events and call the appropriate routines, but
I gather if we're already in a notifier proc, the notifier event handling
is blocked to prevent us from attepting some recursive nonsense.

          *** mike (cerbral GURU, insert M&Ms to restart) smithwick***
"Oh, I'm just a NOP in the instruction set of life, oh, ohhhh, hmmmmm"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]