Help: CDC WREN IV on a Sun 3/60

Jeff Weber ginosko!cg-atla!weber at uunet.uu.net
Mon Aug 21 01:07:24 AEST 1989

In article <710 at brazos.Rice.edu> boissier at irisa.irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:

>I tried to put a CDC WREN IV disk on a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.4, and
>while restoring filesystems on it I got the following error messages:
>
>siintr: spurious phase: csr 40f cbsr 51 (UNSPEC) cdr 6 mr fd bsr 8 tcr 4 ser 80
>siintr: spurious interrupt: csr 40f cbsr 51 (UNSPEC) cdr 6 mr fd bsr 8 tcr 4 ser 80
>
>and the process acessing the disk got stuck. So am I.
>
>The disk was formatted on another Sun using an Emulex controller, BUT when
>I ran dkinfo it found an Adaptec controller??

WAIT A MINUTE!!!...  You connected the disk to both a ST-506 and a ESDI
controller?  I'll give you a hint; DON"T DO THAT.  Connecting a
ST-506/ESDI disk to an ESDI/ST-506 controller can be bad for the health of
the disk.  IF you have ESDI disk then use the MD-21.  If you have an
st-506 disk then use the slower Adaptec 4000.

SECOND...I don't think 3.4 knows about 380MB(u) disks (I think that is
what the WREN IV is).  Check that you've configured the disk as the proper
Logical Unit (LUN), that the terminators on the disk on installed and the
SCSI bus is terminated correctly.

You may have lunched your disk.

																	Jeff