8mm off a VME/SCSI adaptor

Scott Leadley leadley at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Fri Aug 18 04:24:25 AEST 1989

In article <569 at brazos.Rice.edu> abrams at bnlux0.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) writes:
<>
<>I'm trying to get an Exabyte 8mm tape unit for my Sun 3/280 with a VME
<>buss, running SUNOS 4.0.1, and I would rather not have to install a
<>"foreign" driver in the kernel.  Salesmen, who all lie, have been giving
<>me conflicting information.
<>
<>Has anyone installed an 8 mm tape unit using a VME to SCSI adaptor on a
<>Sun 3/2xx which used the driver already present in the Sun OS?  If so,
<>from which vendor did you aquire it?

We bought ours from Applied Digital in Fairport, NY (about 10 miles from
the U of R) because it was convenient.  But, the really good news is that
you don't need a new driver at all!  I was told, and have verified, that
the SunOS 4.0.3 driver is adequate to the task.

				Scott Leadley - leadley at cc.rochester.edu