8mm off a VME/SCSI adaptor

Martin Reed mr at racal-itd.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 17:10:21 AEST 1989

We are quite happily running Exabyte drives under a vanilla flavour SunOS
4.0.3 with 3/280 boxes using Sun's "si" SCSI adaptor.  Note that we are
only using the Exabyte as glorified 1/4" cartridge drives, not full blown
1/2" tape replacements. This means that we are only using them with well
behaved programs like dump and tar. We quite happily place multiple
dumps/tars on one cartridge. SunOS actually knows quite a lot about
Exabytes, even though they are *not* officially supported.  Our supplier
is the UK distributor, so I guess that doesn't help you.  The drives are
vanilla flavour, without any mods. Plug'n'go.

BTW, I am not trying to say that "foreign" device drivers are not adding
value, just that we have found no need to use them (and we develop our own
SCSI drivers for e.g. optical drives).

        Martin Reed, Racal Imaging Systems Ltd