Serial I/O Problems

Josh Putnam josh%dewey.soe.Berkeley.EDU at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:59:33 AEST 1989

We are trying to hook up a nonstandard piece of data gathering equipment
to a Sun 3/60 through ttyd1.

We have successfully hooked the device (the Universal Lab Interface) up to
a tvi-905 with absolutely no problems. When we do the same with a Sun, the
device acts as if it has received hundreds of garbage characters (It spews
out "error" approx. 100 times). This happens when writing only the
necessary chars to the port (no nulls).

When the device is powered on, a simple "cat /dev/ttyd1" also gives the
"error" sequence. This is before any writing to port at all.

Sometimes sending commands to the port works, and the device behaves.
Other times it does the "error" business.

Has anyone else out there installed similar non-standard equipment?

							Josh Putnam