Fax machines and a Sun Network

Steve Elias eli at ursa-major.spdcc.com
Thu Aug 3 12:19:50 AEST 1989

In article <1037 at jtsv16.UUCP> gil at jtsv16.UUCP (gil) writes:
!
!We are currently examining the feasibility of integrating a fax
!machine onto a Sun network.
!Does anybody know of any products that we should be examining?

	the Brooktrout Fax-Mail 96 board runs in a 386i.
	external fax modems (via serial port) should work with
	the sun as well, though software might be limited..  (JT-Fax)

!Some of the considerations we are concerned about are:
!
!	i) facsimilie administration - when
!	faxes are "incoming", there should be an
!	administration facility for coalescing
!	transmission pages and re-routing them
!	to the appropriate user.

	i know of no fax board or software which provides this feature.
	linking email and fax is a simple task, given the proper hardware.
	i would do it myself if i had a real computer at home!

!	ii) archiving - the fax images should be
!	stored in their compressed form (either
!	G3 or G4) so as to save disk space.

	naturally!

!	iii) integration of incoming and
!	outgoing faxes - some sort of spooling
!	facility so that bi-directional
!	facsimilie usage can be maintained.

	all the PC fax boards provide these features.
	i think your only turnkey option is to put one of
	the PC fax boards into a 386i.  though not all PC-fax
	products are qualified on a 386i...

!	Thanks in advance,
!
!	G. Hauer