lpr -s bug

Ron Stanonik stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Wed Aug 9 02:29:00 AEST 1989

We're running sunos4.0.1 on sun3's, sun4's, and sun386i's and we ran into
an lpd bug.  When we lpr -s a file, and the file resides in an nfs mounted
file system, lpd rejects it with the error

	Your printer job
	was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

The problem appears to be that lpd doesn't expect negative devs in the S
line in the cf file; consequently, lpd thinks the symlink has been
tampered with.  The negative dev comes from stat'ing a file in an nfs
mounted filesystem.

No idea if this is fixed in sunos4.0.3.

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil