Using YP and DNS/Resolver together

Jon A. Tankersley apctrc!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net
Sun Aug 6 06:36:04 AEST 1989

Don't forget to set -b in the /var/yp/Makefile for makedbm on hosts.*.  On
386i, don't forget that and the ypserv -i.

There are still some problems with the way it works, if the primary named
system dies a gruesome death, rlogin, telnet, rsh, etc. all hang.  A
graceful death (kill -9, etc.) don't.

Also ypxfr will complain during the ypinit -s.

yp also generates bogus lookups for ^A.domain.name and the like.

yp doesn't recognize no-such-host for bogus lookups.   telnet bogushost
will sit there FOREVER.  You can ^C out though.

I've got it working just fine here, with YP domains holding only thoses
hosts locally on their subnet and the nameservers listted.  All other
queries go to named.

Check your setup with nslookup.
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank at apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank